Wednesday, November 29, 2006

How do You See Yourself

Even in similar circumstances, different people will accomplish differently. In fact the success of a person does not depend as much as on the external factors as much as it depends on the factors that are inside. This anecdote illustrates it beautifully.

Once, I was passing through a busy market place, when I observed that there were a few young people, who were wearing a pink apron, with the name of a popular cosmetic company printed on it. It was very obvious that they were part of some marketing campaign. Each of these young people had a printed paper on a clip board. They were supposed to collect some information from people and take down their name, address and phone number. In return they were offering a free trial sachet of their latest product.

Now, I have a philosophy in life. I never leave any thing that is free. So, when I was stopped by a young girl, I offered to answer the questions, and gave my name, address and phone number and collected my free sachet. When I got a glimpse of the paper in her clip board, I was surprised to see that, my name was at the bottom of the all ready filled up printed table. She thanked me and informed me that I was the hundredth person she had talked to that day and that her target for the day was over. It was commendable as she was assigned this particular cross-road, that was not crowded, and people passing by seemed to be in a great hurry. And it was still within the first few hours of the day.

I plead guilty of thinking that it is the easiest job in the world to offer something free and ask for some trifling information. However, this was not very easy for another girl of the same age, who was assigned to a crowded bus-stop. People had no other option but to wait till their bus came. It was of course an ideal location for this kind of an activity. But, her paper had only two names written on it. I was surprised, as all she had to do was to come forward, and at least ten people at any given point would have listened to her presentation. But she was standing quietly, looking at people, sizing them up. Sometimes, she would make an attempt to move towards somebody and then stop dead on the track. I could see desperation and fear of rejection written all over her face. I tell you, she portrayed a sorry figure, as she was fighting a war with herself, which she was clearly loosing.

Don’t we, like this girl, loose genuinely good business opportunities or a chance of a wonderful relationship or simply a great time, because some where deep down, we feel that we are not good enough for it? Aren’t there times when we undersell ourselves, and castigate ourselves to a life of mediocrity and unnecessary compromises when in fact we have talents that can win the world?

Why are we hesitant? Why do we fear? It is because; we do not really see ourselves in good light. It is not important what others are thinking about you. It is more important what you think about yourself. And the way, you look yourself; the world will see you in the same way. That is the principle. That is the magic of Self-Image.

Work on your Self Image. It is worth it. Because the extent of you success is proportionate to your self image. I for several years had suffered from poor self image. Thanks to God, I learned a few techniques that helped me to improve it. I would like to share them with you.

- Pray everyday, and believe, really believe that you are God’s child. And you will immediately give a boost to your self image because; you know that no child of God can be a looser.

- Play with children. Children have very high self image and it will brush on to you in no time.

- Talk to yourself. Aloud, if possible. Tell yourself that you are the most deserving person in this world and thank God for it. Then experience the magic.

- Read a lot of Positive books; listen to exciting music rather than sad songs. Exciting music and positive books make you feel happy. As a result you feel more confident and ready to face the world.

- Keep yourself away from television soaps. The face of humanity that they display can be one of the biggest blows to your self image. Also keep away from negative people. Protect your brain, from any sort of garbage.

There are some more that I will share with you some other time. They worked for me. Try them out. And if they work for you as well (which they definitely will), share them with others. Who knows someone out there is waiting for you to come and rescue him from his own-self.

No comments: